Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cowl as Swatch

I've gone back to buying a skein here, ball there of yarn that looks interesting. It's a try before I commit to a large quantity of yarn after a couple of missteps. The problem is that I don't want to just knit a swatch, I'd rather make something useful. Which leads back to...what can you make with one ball of yarn?
Anyway, I picked up a ball of Rowan's Lenpur Linen because I liked the color and I love linen. It's not the easiest fiber to knit with, but it makes a beautiful fabric. Lenpur Linen is mostly rayon with 25% linen. It's soft and has a little sheen. I decided to make the Spiral Cowl because it was possible it might only take one ball of yarn. Well, it needed more. So I used Aslan Trends Glaciar Del Cielo because it is similar in weight and texture. Glaciar Del Cielo is 100% cotton, so it doesn't have the same sheen as the linen, and didn't soften up quite as much, but it blends nicely.

The cowl looked odd while I was working on it because of the contrast between the dark and light green, but on the model it takes on a different look. It's like two different cowls depending on whether you wear it with the lighter color on top or the darker color on top. It's more of a fashion accessory rather than something that would keep your neck warm.


0 comments:

 
Support Wikipedia