Thursday, May 24, 2012

Two and a Half Hour Prairie Bonnet

Tuesday I got the request to make a "pioneer sunbonnet"; the deadline was Friday. So I searched on-line and found a great pattern and tutorial.

Wednesday, I took a look through my fabric stash and didn't find anything suitable. So, I stopped at Jo-Ann Fabric and found a nice mini-gingham check in barn red and beige. It had a nice weight and looked antique. I had some heavy white cotton to use as interlining for the brim.

Thursday, from cutting out to finishing, it really did take just 2.5 hours to make the bonnet. I was a bit concerned because it looked small, but it turned out to fit perfectly! Whew!

Modifications: I did add a casing and 8" of elastic across the back neck. I also top-stitched the brim before attaching it to the crown. I folded over one side of the long edge on the brim, and sewed the gathered crown to the unfolded side. Then I tucked the raw edges in and hand-stitched the underside of the brim to the crown. I hand-stitched some grosgrain ribbon for ties.


0 comments:

 
Support Wikipedia