Saturday, May 16, 2015

Bottle Glasses

I've been toying with the idea of making drinking glasses from wine bottles for awhile. I saw a tool at MakerFaire two years ago that would make it easier to make them, and got it as a gift last year. And I've been collecting wine bottles (and friends have, too) so maybe the time has come.

Ephrem's Bottle Cutter


On a trip to Summerwood Winery in Paso Robles, I got to see a few of these tumblers up close. Some had flat bottoms, some had punts. Both were very nice - although I suspect they used some kind of flame to finish the drinking edge.

Refresh Glasses
I'll do some research to determine whether to use Bordeaux or Burgundy bottles and how much of the bottle to use. The Refresh site provides some clues as to the sizes. The Bordeaux is nice and straight up to the shoulders:


But I don't know if the Burgundy really has any less usable height:


I guess I'll just have to measure the height and circumference.

0 comments:

 
Support Wikipedia